Tuesday, February 2, 2016

"Old School" Mapping, Part 2

So, I have been trying my hand at making maps of the Forgotten Realms this past weekend and this week so far. My first attempt at the Moonsea was pretty good I think...considering I'm an amateur. I didn't care too much for how the Forests were in these though...they look too crowded and don't leave much room for someone to place what they may want on the map. On top of that, this first map doesn't include a scale for distance...shows my amateur status for sure!

My second attempt at a Forgotten Realms map was this one of the Cormyr area. I decided to do away with the trees and instead use shaded areas to designate where forests were. I felt like this was working much better because now someone can print out the map and use it to make notes on without so many black trees that make it impossible to place notes in the forests. The mountains still have the same problem as the forests, but early on I decided to keep the Mountains the same because they just look good this way. I remembered a scale for miles...primitive looking, but it will work!

Today found me making a map of the Easting Reach for someone who asked when I would be making it. I had a lot of fun with this one because I used a map by Mark Taylor for reference; and I always enjoy looking at his maps. My map is pretty much a "Player's Copy" of his...because my intent is to make a bunch of maps that people can use in game to make notes on and such. It was really fun working on this one because there was just so much detail!

I've made a few other maps as well, but they are for upcoming publications via Ravenlore Press, The Ed Greenwood Group, and The DMs Guild by Wizard's of the Coast. It will be a while before those are properly finished as I use these other maps to get a better feel of "gaming maps" for people to use while they are playing.

If you have any questions about mapping, I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I can say without a doubt that the folks at Hexographer have an amazing application here and you should check it out for your own gaming needs. Having said that, if you do have any questions for me, you can either ask below or head over to my Facebook Page and ask me there!

Bonus Map: "Mystara" style map of Cormyr


No comments:

Post a Comment